Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Waterford Races

I may need to rethink my racing strategy (: I don't understand how I finished nearly last in this last race over in Clarkston, MI. I was first at the start of the last lap, right? I was pushing the pace with a couple other guys and I came around to the front as we crossed the line on the bell lap.

My answer to being on the front (where I didn't want to be) was to sit up (go real slow) and I'm thinking this was a mistake. After a lot of thought on the way home, I should of kept the pace fast. I had done a lot of work throughout the race, chasing people back, trying to form moves with other riders, etc., but I still had a little bit of gas left. Everyone came around me and I was pretty well boxed in (meaning I couldn't move left or right because other people were there) so I didn't have a go at the sprint at all. My co-worker Evan can attest that I told him, 'the one thing I really want to do in this race is have a real go at the sprint", and it seems like I did not.

Well, I can take some serious positives here. I held on very well to the front of the race the entire time, something I wanted to work on from last year. Yeah, I had to dig deep a couple of times to keep in contact, but it was impressive I was able to hang at the front. Overall, I raced just about exactly how I wanted to until the end, I believe this bodes well for the rest of summer! Hooray!

I just got back from a 100km ride with Tyler. I don't do many long rides and I really need to start. It felt good but my hamstrings are still suspect, I should really be stretching more but you know, that takes too much time. Instead, I'd rather write blogs.



My new house is amazing, I love being a homeowner! I always have something to do, and it is so lovely not having my mother asking me a million questions all of the time (I love you Ma). I've got a cat, his name is Zipp. He is super perfect but the little buddy likes to knock around his water bowl and spill water everywhere, does anyone have any suggestions with this? (:

*this is Zipp he is just so purrrfect*

This Saturday is the Dirty Donut!!! 5 minutes is taken off your overall time for each donut you eat (and don't throw up) at the 3 donut stops throughout the 40 miles. As all the people at my office (and former offices) know very well, I don't blink at 6 donuts, so I'm looking forward to see how many my body can handle during a bike race!

After this weekend, we head up to Zeeland on Friday for two races. This is probably my favorite race of the year, at dusk on a Friday night, right through downtown! It was super fun and super fast last year, and I'm hoping I can put on a super good showing for myself and the team! The next day I head over to Ada to race again, I have no idea where Ada is so I'm going to figure that out. Sunday is up in Grand Haven, I haven't done this race before but it is a road race, so I'm hoping to sit in and draft off of everyone and then out-sprint the field at the end!

*my spare bedroom has been taken over*


3/16 Waterloo G&G, Grass Lake, MI (Gravel) 34th Overall (221) / 4th AG (6)
3/23 Melting Mann, Vandalia, MI (Gravel) 61st Overall (255) / 17th AG (31)
3/30 Dirty 30 Gravel Grinder, Saranac, MI (Gravel) 81st Overall (215) / 9th AG (24)
4/6 Lowell Classic, Lowell, MI (Gravel) 27th Overall (239) / 8th AG (15)
4/13 Barry Roubaix, Hastings, MI (Gravel) 216th Overall (1342) / 6th AG (18)
4/28 Ann Arbor Spring Training Series, Ann Arbor, MI 11th Overall 4/5 (48)
5/5 Fort Custer Stampede, Battle Creek, MI (Mountain!!) 7th AG (13)
6/1 The Waterford Races, Clarkston, MI 21st Overall 4/5 (24)
6/5 Grattan Race Series, Grattan, MI 20th Overall 'B' (37)
6/9 Dirty Donut, Martin, MI (Gravel)
6/14 Zeeland Crit, Zeeland, MI
6/15 Ada Crit, Ada, MI
6/16 Vuelta a Porta Sheldon, Grand Haven, MI (?)
6/22 Athens Brick Criterium, Athens, OH
6/29 Port City Crit, Muskegon, MI
6/30 Great Lakes Classic Road Race, Marne, MI
7/13 Detroit Cycling Championship, Detroit, MI
7/14 Corktown Crit, Detroit, MI
7/20 Whiskey City Twilight Challenge, Lawrenceburg, IN
7/26 - 7/28 Make-a-Wish, Traverse City to Galesburg
8/10 Rose City Crit, Jackson, MI
8/18 Gaslight Crit, Grand Rapids, MI
8/25 Debaets-Devos Crit, Detroit, MI
9/8 Uncle John's Dirty Ride, St. John's, MI (Gravel)
11/2 Iceman, Traverse City, MI

Have a fantastic week everyone, I am so glad summer (?) is finally here.

Cheers!
CE

No comments:

Post a Comment